Picking a tattoo obviously is a very important decision since the tattoo will be with you for your whole life. And since bodies change over time, you must do your best to try and think ahead.
(also be sure to check out this --> Picking a Tattoo Rules, Where to Get a Tatoo, Handwritten Tattoo, Tattoo Ideas, Rihanna Tattoos, Megan Fox Tattoos)
1) No girlfriend's, boyfriends, even husbands or wives names: Tattoos
are forever and sadly, girlfriend's, boyfriends, even husbands or wives sometimes are not.
2) No band names or logos (that goes for ones you like or ones that you were or
are a member of): Again like relationships, your taste can change and you
could be stuck with a huge Winger tattoo on your back.
3) Don't pick something off the wall at tattoo place. picking a tattoo is a tough decision because of the permancy. if you can't think of something original, don't get one.
4) Make sure you think long and hard about what symbol you get and who will see it, because when someone sees said tat they will be judging you about it and then maybe asking you about it for the rest of your life. That is, if you get a dolphin on your ankle you will forever be considered one of "those people.". So ya better tuly love dolphins.
5) Pick a design and think about it for a year, if you still like the design, go for it
6) Placement on body - dont get one in a place you can't cover up at work.
Also consider your posture an your body and the fact that your body might change. Like I have bad posture and am always hunched over so when the place the sketch on my skin, I don't stand up straight to see how it looks. I stand like I normally stand to see how it looks. Don't be afraid to have the artist redo the placement of the sketch as many times as it takes until you think it is in a perfect place. Also bring a friend and have them comment on the sketch placement before they start the tattoo.
Know that women get big in their tummy area when pregnant and people get fatter when they get older - this can affect how that tattoo in that not so flattering area is gonna look. Stretched skin means an ugly stretched tattoo.
There are certain parts of the body where tattoos have a hard time sticking. I have one on my foot that I had done 2 times because the color wouldn't stick because of the skin and the fact that shoes kept rubbing that area.
7) Instead of fonts for words, use someones handwriting.
Ten years ago, I wish I knew that tattoos shrink. This is especially a problem for a handwritten tattoo I have. Since it has shrunk some of the words are blurry and hard to read.
8) No chinese words, because I'm pretty sure people in China are NOT tattooing the English word Peace and Love on their bodies! And our you sure that Chinese symbol translates for sure to "love" or does it acutally mean "beef with broccoli" - do your research.
9) Choose an experienced tattoo artist and make sure they show a
portfolio of past work. My first tattoo was done for free at age 19 and I was
lucky number 7 for my artist. I chose a rather ornate crest that had a lot of
symmetry and complex shapes in it, ok my fault. dont have your buddies amateur buddy do it cause it is cheap
go to a reputable place and if possible find an artist that someone you know has gone to before
10) Don't ever try and get one removed.
11) Size and Price: Don't let price affect any decisions you make including the size you get. A good idea is to make copies of different sizes of your design and pick the ideal size before you go in. Don't let an artist convince you on bigger. But also know that going smaller is not always the best thing. You want to be able to see the thing. Artists do have some basic rules they need to follow when it comes to layout though. I wanted to have some hand written words go vertically down my back that the artist wouldn't do without a frame around it so they could keep it straight. So we ended up doing it the normal horizontal way. It might not be a bad idea to pop into your tattoo parlor a few months before you plan on getting the tattoo to make sure they will be able to do what you had in mind.
12) Have the design be tasteful. it might seem funny now but think about how you are gonna have to explain it to your kids 20 years from now.
13) Don't get drunk before you go to get it. Tattoo places have strict no drinking/no drugs rules. I think they do this so they don't have people come back in a few days after they got a lame tattoo drunk and complain to the tattoo place for letting them get that lame tattoo.
14) Joe Hubeny said:
I learned the following: get it on a nice meaty part of your body like your ass because it doesn't hurt
as much. It is permanent so you should get something u really like-ie, your favorite sports team logo.
Lastly, be proud, show it off to everyone, except to your parents of course.