Christmas Cookie Recipes - Dark Chocolate-Espresso Shortbread Recipe
Every year we make these yummy Christmas cookies. Here is a recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder (we tested with Café Bustello)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 ounces white chocolate baking bar (we tested with Ghirardelli)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate baking bars
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Stir in dry ingredients; beat just until blended.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Place 2 portions on opposite ends of 1 baking sheet. Place remaining portion on second baking sheet.
- Cover dough portions with plastic wrap; gently press or roll each portion of dough into a 5 1/2" circle. Lightly score each round with a sharp knife into 6 or 8 wedges.
- Bake rounds at 325° for 23 minutes or until shortbread feels firm to the touch. Gently score each round again with a sharp knife. Slide parchment from baking sheets onto wire racks. Let shortbread cool completely on parchment. Cut shortbread into wedges along scored lines.
- Melt chocolate baking bars separately in small bowls in the microwave according to package directions. Partially dip wide end of each shortbread wedge in unsweetened chocolate. Place on a wax paper-lined jelly-roll pan, and freeze briefly to set chocolate. Then partially dip other half of wide end of each wedge in white chocolate. Freeze briefly to set white chocolate.